- President Obama, ever the pacifist, is kowtowing to the demands of Catholic bishops who care more about their dogma than the health and livelihoods of women. (MSNBC)
- Planned Parenthood is OK with the president making the concession though — whatever it takes to ensure women have access to birth control, we’re on board! (ABC News)
- Speaking of birth control, you can credit the drop in teen pregnancy and abortions to it. (WebMD)
- The Arizona Legislature (with the help of the Center for Arizona Policy) is coming out with guns blazing against choice this year. Again. (Tucson Citizen)
- Arizona Republic columnist E.J. Montini notes the hypocrisy of our legislature’s seemingly immense care and concern for fetuses while lacking the same for actual born children. (AZ Central)
- Planned Parenthood: Prioritizing the health and safety of black women. (HuffPo)
- Rather than, say, creating jobs and passing legislation that will resuscitate the current economy, Congress seems to be solely focused on taking down reproductive rights and Planned Parenthood. (The Hill)
- Just what we don’t need — the Old Boys’ Club dictating “wisdom” on contraceptive coverage. (RH Reality Check)
- Students at a Pennsylvania college can now access emergency contraception via a vending machine! (CNN)
Posted in Rundowns
Tagged Arizona, birth control, bishops, Catholic, Catholics, Center for Arizona Policy, contraception, contraceptives, health care, Planned Parenthood, religion, teen pregnancy, the Pill
This Wednesday could easily be dubbed “Anti-Woman Day” at the Arizona Legislature. Several anti-choice bills will be voted on in two committees that day, and if the votes go anything like last Wednesday’s House Health Committee vote, women don’t stand a chance. We need YOUR help this week. Please TAKE ACTION on BOTH items to stand up for women in Arizona.
First, THANK YOU for taking action last week by emailing the House Health Committee about the two bills that were up for vote. HB2443 (Gender and Race Selection) did not receive a hearing that day, but stay tuned for movement on that bill again soon.
Unfortunately, with HB2416, ideology once again trumped science at the Legislature! In testimony, Planned Parenthood Medical Director, Dr. Taylor, took questions from the panel of legislators. One legislator, Peggy Judd, could not understand why handing a woman a pill was different from a surgical procedure, ignoring the medical common sense evidence that Dr. Taylor presented during the hearing to decide whether abortion-by-pill should be subject to the same clinic regulations as a surgical abortion. The committee ultimately decided….it should be.
The hearing was fraught with misinformation, and debate was shut down before pro-choice legislators even had a chance to ask their questions. Continue reading
Posted in Legislative Watch
Tagged abortion, abortion pil, action alert, anti choice, Arizona, Center for Arizona Policy, crisis pregnancy centers, Dr. Taylor, HB2384, HB2416, legislature, Planned Parenthood, SB1246, surgery